Pages

Flipkart.com

Friday, January 21, 2011

Deepak Mehta, CAT 2010 topper: A 100 %iler interview


Deepak Mehta from BITS Pilani Goa campus topped CAT 2010 with a perfect 100 percentile score. Deepak, though confident of securing a good score, never expected to top CAT. He spoke to CoolAvenues.com about his success, preparations and some tips for MBA aspirants. Read on…

1. Did you ever think you will top CAT, after you were through with your exam?
I knew my exam went well. And after my consistent performance in my mock tests, I was expecting a very good score. But a 100%ile? NO. It came as a sweet shock to me.

2. What was the first thing you did soon after you came to know your score?
I called up my parents and my little sister.


3. Your score—overall and sectional.

Over All 358 100%ile
QA 120 99.99%ile
VA 128 99.95%ile
LRDI 110 99.75%ile


4. Which day, slot and test centre you appeared for CAT 2010?
22nd Nov, afternoon slot.


5. What all calls you have had till date and which are the one’s you are looking forward at converting?
So far I have received 5 calls- IIM Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Calcutta, Lucknow and Ranchi. Hope I convert the 1st three.

6. How are you preparing for GD/PI? Share some tips.
I haven't yet started preparing for my GD/PI, but will start pretty soon.

7. How did you kick start your preparations for CAT 2010?
Preparations for CAT 2010 began in January 2010 when I joined Career Launcher classes in my campus (BITS Pilani Goa Campus). After then it was attending classes regularly, going through whatever was taught in the classes later on and focusing on completing the material provided by CL by at least June end. From July onwards I had my internship in Bangalore, which barely left me with time to prepare. But I still somehow managed to take out an hour or two daily for CAT.


9. What are the others books and tests that you used for your MBA preparation, besides the study material provided by your coaching institute?
Only two more books- both to help enrich my vocabulary.
a) Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
b) All About Words by Nurnberg and Rosenblum


10. Can you tell us which your favorite books were - books that you used for preparing for entrance, books for self-development, and books for pure relaxation?
 
I just read a few books out of sheer interest. Area 7 by Matthew Reilly, Dracula by Bram Stoker and The Complete Collection of Sherlock Holmes. But they are not advised for preparations. I read them just for relaxation.


11. What were your strongest and your weakest areas while preparing for MBA?
My strongest area was QA as I had always been good in Maths and also real fast at calculations. My weakest was Verbal Ability and particularly the RC section as one can never be sure of the answer and also because RC requires a thorough and impartial understanding of the passage.


12. Some tips which you used for mastering Quantitative Aptitude, Reading Comprehension, etc.
For QA the key is constant practice and clarity of the basic concepts.

For LR/DI, there are different types of questions, all of which require different approaches to solve them speedily. So again the key would be to solve as many questions as possible so that you can cover all the basic types of questions.

For VA, develop a strong vocabulary. Read a lot of books. Daily newspapers would be of great help. Also while attempting the questions, start with a clear head. Don’t get stuck on one question for too long. Also, trust your instincts.


No comments:

Post a Comment